Aaron Sherber wrote:
At 07:35 AM 11/16/2006, dhbailey wrote:
 >mentioned that works published in 1923 were in the public domain and I
 >was corrected that works published BEFORE 1923 were the ones in the
 >public domain.  I did the math and felt I had initially been correct,
 >but admitted that I might have been wrong since I couldn't cite a source
 >to support my contention.
[quoting csusa.org]
 >provisions on copyrights in works created and published before 1978 are
 >complicated, but, as a general rule, the copyright in those works will
 >last 95 years. Anything first published in 1923 or earlier, though, is
 >in the public domain.

David, the sources I usually consult explicitly disagree with this. See:

<http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter0/0-a.html#3>
<http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm>
<http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm>

Oh, and see also the following, beginning of the 7th paragraph:

<http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.html#date>

I would call that rather definitive. <g>

I'm not so certain of that -- our beloved government has been known to be wrong before. ;-)

The new law went into effect on Jan. 1, 1999. The previous rewrite had extended the length of copyrights to be total of 75 years, if it had been renewed and so was still protected by copyright when the 1978 law went into effect. So a work copyrighted in 1923, and properly extended would have copyright extension until Dec.31, 1998 at 12:00midnight. The new law went into effect a second later, at 12:01:01 Jan 1, 1999, so those 1923 copyrights would have expired just before the new law went into effect.

I guess this is why there are lawyers.  :-)

--
David H. Bailey