Chuck Israels wrote:
[snip]>> They sound like regular violins to me. Suppose I write something and I
use violins KS, violins pizz. and violins arco, what is happening in the final version? Finale will put everything on one stave, right (everything else would be ridiculous)? As for musical news, I cannot get over it. I bought a CD today with music of Nicola Lefanu, a British composer/professor of composition. Technically it's all perfectly written, but by god, this is boring stuff!

This could open up a discussion of what makes non-boring music, and I'd have strong opinions on the matter. There is a lot of music that is supported by academic institutions that speaks only to others playing the same musical game, and a large portion of it leaves me cold, sometimes even offended, and I have no time for that. Still every now and then, I discover something I really like.

[snip]

And it is important for anybody entering such a discussion to realize that there isn't any one monolithic reaction to or use for music in various people's lives. What one person finds boring, another may find relaxing instead. And what one person finds exciting another may find grating and annoying.

That's what makes music such a wonderful art -- each of us gets a truly personal reaction to what we hear and can't ever expect that anybody else, even someone standing right next to us, is hearing (or paying attention, conscious or unconscious, to) the same things we're hearing.

Another thing to consider is that the physical sensations of hearing music live are quite different from hearing it recorded, just as looking at a picture of the Grand Canyon can in no way reproduce the sensation of actually standing on the rim and viewing it in person.

But listening to a CD can certainly help us to decide (for good or ill) whether we want to actually go out of our way to hear that same music live, so it is unfortunate when we have a negative reaction to recorded music. We'll never know if we might have liked it had we heard it in person.

Then again, life is way too short to be able to hear every piece ever written, so recordings can help us to sort out what we want to put more time and energy into. This may be a bad thing but I certainly have way too little time to put more energy into music which moves me in a negative way or which doesn't move me at all.

Obviously somebody liked that music, though, or they wouldn't have wasted money recording it! :-)

--
David H. Bailey