Thanks Daniel, that's all very helpful.

I'm calling for soft mallets, and the four-mallet xylo parts I have in mind are all double tremolos.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY

On 26 Nov 2006, at 4:04 PM, Daniel Wolf wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:
Carl,

What I was wondering was more along the lines of "are there any xylophone-specific issues that make a four-mallet technique less practical on xylo. than on other mallet instruments, like vibraphone or marimba"?

With regard to playing technique, aside from generally using harder mallets and a faster attack and little if no use of dampening sustained tones, there is no difference. However, the xylophone has a much shorter ringtime and the sound at the point of the attack is brighter, bringing out the non-harmonic partials. It is then be a matter of taste to decide whether that timbre is as suitable as that of a marimba or vibraphone (in which harmonic spectra are better sustained by their quarter-wave-length resonators) to playing more than a single melodic line, let alone a four-part texture.

Daniel Wolf