At 2:53 PM -0500 11/26/06, Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hey all,

Are most orchestral percussionists comfortable using four mallets (2-mallet grip in each hand) on xylophone? Or is this more of a vibraphone/marimba technique?

Sure it is, but mallet players who have that technique can certainly apply it to xylophone. (And I answer as the father of a fairly outstanding percussionist, who is now a professional singer!) I wouldn't count on a non-mallet percussionist having that technique, though. Our percussion prof. makes sure all the students can do everything, but some are always better at some things than others.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music