On 06 Dec 2006, at 3:29 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

But I must say that I am surprised that in the US the union has not been able to solve the dilemma you are talking about.

If you say the state of the AFM firsthand (especially the New York local, Local 802), you would not be surprised, trust me.

There is zero interest in doing anything new. The union exists solely to try to hang on to whatever scraps of influence it has left -- Broadway, major orchestras, sidemen appearing on major label recording sessions -- and it's not even doing a very good job of that. (See the Radio City Music Hall Christmas show debacle last year.) They aren't just indifferent towards trying to organize independent jazz and popular musicians, they are *actively hostile* to such a project.

Local 802 just had its election today. It's possible that if there's going to be new leadership, we might actually get some progress on some of these issues. But I'm not terribly optimistic.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]