On 4 Dec 2006 at 10:56, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 10:38 AM 12/4/06 -0500, dhbailey wrote:
> >That's the problem with all this copyright stuff -- it's definitely
> >not a black and white issue.  Where would someone find a copy of your
> >old web-page, if you've taken it down?  If it's archived somewhere, I
> >do hope you've sued that place for infringing your copyright.
>
> It might be on the Wayback Machine:
> http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
> They archive pages unless denied by robots.txt or asked to remove a
> page.

But if Johannes found his page archived there he can get it removed
by taking simple actions, so I see no problem there.

> This doesn't directly relate, but affects tethered software & other
> protected software:
> http://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/1201_recommendation.pdf

But that's a different set of issues -- in that case, the data that
*you* own (and the intellectual property it represents) is tied up in
proprietary binary file formats that become useless once the tethered
software cannot be used. This is increasingly going to be a big
problem for the digital music DRM schemes, where you end up buying
rights to the same music over and over again (assuming the copyright
holders continue to offer the music for licensing).