Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions, but I really think it is due somehow to the actual software. Everything was fine before Fin 2007. From the word 'go' I couldn't use it because of this fault. I continued using Fin2006. Then the other day I loaded Fin2007 and tried every possible way to fix it, to no avail. When I returned to Fin2006 I found that it had contracted the same fault. I have now gone back to using Fin2004, which is working OK. - No latency, which indicates that my keyboard and sound card must be alright.

John