At 11:03 AM -0800 12/9/06, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Dec 7, 2006, at 8:59 AM, John Howell wrote:

I don't believe anyone has stated this explicitly, so I'll go out on a limb. Copyright in the U.S. is treated as a property right, and a copyrighted work is treated as property. In fact, property and property rights were extremely important to the founding fathers.

I think you're going out on the wrong limb here. This is a very tangled argument for many reasons, not the least of which is that the "founding fathers" were far from unified,

Agreed that they were far from unified (and what else could we expect!), but the laws they passed were not ambiguous, and it is those laws, in my view, that treat copyrights and patents as property, but as property with a reasonable time limit to its exclusivity. They also probably disagreed on whether we would have a King or a President, but they made a decision, and on whether to have a state religion, multiple state religions, or no state religions, and again they made the decision that is recorded in our Constitution. Men of good will can disagree, as long as they have the intelligence to compromise. That, of course, is what is missing in the Middle East these days. (Political statement? I don't think so; just a statement of fact. When no one will give an inch, compromise and negotiation are impossible, and therefore democracy is impossible.)

Under American law, copyrights and patents are defined as exclusive rights, not intellectual properties.

Which may be why, if you check, you'll see that while I write of copyrights, I do not use the term "intellectual property." At least not in this particular thread. And the reason I avoid it is to avoid confusing U.S. law with European law and the "moral rights" or whatever they are called that underlie it.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music