Hi Jef,

I am about to try this on some parts I'm working on right now. I'll report on the results.

Thank you,

Chuck

On Dec 21, 2006, at 4:38 PM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

hey chuck, more grand news.

1. TGTools: modify: transfer: layout: beat charts and measure widths
2. layout tool: **before** doing layout (*) select "apply to PT/ SC" in "edit system margins" dialogue and select the instruments you want the changes to apply to (!!!!! remember to change it back to this part only once done!!!) and set system layout as you wish

actually there is (almost) no point in using finale's built-in layout copy function for large-scale layout duplication, because you can only apply it to one system at a time (uh...), but (here's another plug for our plugin godz!!!) i just did this with TGTools (same place as 1., how the *&? i missed that beats the hell out of me).

it"s taking me about 30-40min to do the layout for each instrument, i have 8-7-6-4-4 strings left; each group plays similar materials, more or less the same density, and although the measures they pause and play in sometimes vary a little, i just copied vlnI.1 to the 10 other violins, check through them and i need around 5-10 minutes for minor adjustments to the layout per part. i alkso copied to the 1st viola, will adjust that and copy across the other violas, etc.

the bottom line: i just shaved about 20-30min off the layout of 24 instruments, which means i get to sleep tomorrow night (have to print on saturday or i'm dead), thanks to TGTools.

(you can do this of course to extracted parts as well, i'm just pointing out that there is an easy way to copy layout across parts, and this seems to be your only hesitation in jumping to 2007 / linked parts.)

3. layout tool: using fit measure options cmd-sh-f set measures per system (*)

there is a checkbox for this as well, but i can't seem to get it working here.

--

shirling & neueweise ... new music publishers
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] :.../ http://newmusicnotation.com

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836