It is much easier to use a non-standard key signature. While working in Finale, the output can be sent to a synthesizer external to Finale with a full-keyboard retuning, either set up on the synth directly or via a midi relay tuning program (I use InTun, freeware, in WinXP). When the Finale file is finished, the exported midi file can be processed with Scala (also Freeware) so that pitch bends are attached to each note; this new midi file can be reimported into Finale, thus skipping the work of manually attaching pitch bends.

I have not been able to get Garritan to respond accurately or consistantly to pitch bend messages.

I can send working examples of non-standard microtonal key signatures if requested.

Daniel Wolf

Ken Moore wrote:
I wrote my "Enneakaidekaphonic Variations" for two 19-note ET recorders by distinguishing in the notation between the sharps and flats that would be enharmonic equivalents in ET12. * For playback, I put non-printing expressions with pitch bend on each note. It sounds tedious,
but went reasonably quickly with each expression on a metatool.

* C C# Db D D# Eb E E# F F# Gb G G# Ab A A# Bb B B#

If you want to work in ET31, you can add double flats and double sharps to give enough different pitch classes. I would want automatic application of the pitch bend before I tried
that, and can't think how to do it.