On 12/30/06, keith helgesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Could it be an indication to 'staccato' the last note? i.e. to leave a
miniscule gap between the note marked and the next one- play as
semiq,semiqrest.

I have the sense it could mean pay the tied notes, as a dagger. But
then in the instance where the two eighth notes are tied, in the same
measure, why didn't Graupner just use a quarter note?

I'm annotating the marking in my edition exactly as it appears in the
manuscripts, but just not sure what to say in the critical notes,
other than "I don't know what this symbol means."

Thanks!

Kim Patrick Clow