On Jan 11, 2007, at 6:23 AM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

even for those with broadband, they are also simply files that clutter up the dumputer. i usually manage to keep my attachments folder down to around 400 files, and when attempting to clean it up every once in awhile i have to look at every single file there to determine whether it is important to me or not.

May I suggest a technique that was suggested to me by my sister, who is an extremely well-organised business person, and has helped me?

She saw the paper cluttering my office, and said, "Set up a system so that you only have to touch each piece of paper once until you need it again. Either trash it or file it the first time you touch it." I can't say that I have followed it to the letter (you've seen my office, jef!) but when I have followed it, it works great. It's the only way I do my tax info and bills, for example.

This applies well to the dumputer, too. I have an attachments folder too, but when I go through it I either move it to a "Keep" folder (or some other place where I can find it easily if I need to) or trash it right away. The "Attachments" folder is just a staging area, like an In box waiting for me to touch it for the first time. It makes things way easier.

Christopher