On Jan 13, 2007, at 4:23 AM, Daniel Wolf wrote:

On Jan 12, 2007, at 5:38 PM, John Howell wrote:

Opera was entertainment, and can only be compared with musical theater today
This is a claim that is made again and again, but on any close inspection will fall apart.

I'm glad someone else said this, and documented it so nicely, so that I don't have to.

I would only add that in the English-speaking world (and in a number of other traditions), opera was never mass entertainment because it was almost invariably performed in a foreign language.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/