At 1:48 PM -0500 1/28/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
You all do know that in the USA there are union specifications for the size
of parts & amount of staves for the major orchestras.

No, I don't think we do know that; at least I don't. Could you provide specifics? There are MOLA guidelines, of course, but that has nothing to do with the union.

 And even if you are a freelance composer with a small job for a symphony
performer, you better have those parts in the same whatever.

The exception appears to be the Nashville arrangers who provide orchestrations for pop acts who appear with orchestras, and barely know how to use Finale right out of the box. Some truly dreadful stuff!!!! Both Mosaic and Sibelius have good looking defaults. Finale never has had.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music