On 31 Jan 2007 at 13:57, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 1/31/2007 01:40 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>  >> You cannot modify zillions of files
>  >> that you used to have access to.
>  >
>  >You don't *need* modify access to those files. Files you *need*
>  >access to should be stored in your user profile, which is under your
>  >full control. Any looser access to application and OS space is
>  >dangerous.
>
> I AM talking about Documents and Settings, those files are now
> protected and non-modifiable.

Which ones? Your document files or your application settings files?

I will say that PC software makers have been completely derelict in
the way they design their applications. A client of mine is an
accountant, and accounting and tax software of all kinds is extremely
poorly designed and requires admin-level logons or permissions tweaks
to get it to run without admin-level logon. And many of the tax
packages download tax form data and store it in the application
folder, when it ought to be stored outside the application folder.

>  >And why you would think it would be simple to transfer an
>  application >to a new system by copying its application folder, I
>  don't know. >Windows applciations have not existed as just files in
>  an application >folder for, oh, I don't, 15 years? They depend on
>  registry entries >and libraries stored in common locations, so you
>  can't just copy the >app from one machine to another.
>
> I know how to.

You mean you will go through the difficulty of hunting down the
missing DLLs and copying them somewhere, and, perhaps, exporting the
old registry keys for import into the new PC's registry? Been there,
done that -- it's much easier and more reliable (and safer) to just
run the application installer. I've never tried copying except when
the application installer was lost.

There are a few simple Windows applications (or complex applications
designed with an old-style philosophy of keeping all application
files in one place and storing settings in files instead of the
registry) that can be copied. But most of them can't without a huge
amount of effort figuring out what components need to be brought over
from the old PC.