> Is this a Windows thing? On Macs, if your web browser is set to use
> QuickTime, playback of an MP3 file automatically begins as soon as
> QuickTime thinks it can complete the file without interruption. In
> other words, *every* MP3 you click on in a web browser is streaming
> (by default). If you want to download the file, you have to use a
> contextual menu (i.e., "Save to disk.")
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Darcy

As I mentioned on an earlier post, this is not true streaming, but
"pseudo-streaming", and is not specific to Windows or Mac.  This depends
completely on the media player used, and QuickTime, Windows Media Player,
and most others can pseudo-stream mp3s (as well as Real, QuickTime, Flash,
etc.).  However, this method does indeed download a file, which ultimately
will exist intact somewhere on the user's hard drive.  In true streaming,
there is no file download, just the reassembly of data packets on the user's
end; this is the only way that live broadcasts can be streamed, for example.
Another distinguishing characteristic of true streaming is the ability to
stream to many users simultaneously, and advanced systems such as RealAudio
can dynamically adjust the bandwidth (bit rate) depending on the changing
quality of the connection.  True streaming methods also offer higher
security, though not perfect, as others have pointed out.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com