On 6 Feb 2007 at 22:41, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:11 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >> but according  to
> >> the article on this topic in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few days
> >> ago, devices that rely on time-servers *will* in fact be
> >> automatically adjusted to accomodate the new DST regime. The main
> >> problem will be with older computers that cannot read time servers.
> >
> > Well, not doubting what you read, but can you give a URL for the
> > article? It doesn't align with what I understand about time servers
> > (which may very well be completely erroneous).
>
> http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/16612090.htm

I don't see anything at all in the article about time servers. From
that article:

     For many widely used devices, automatic updates should prove
     easy. Cell phones should flash the correct date and time
     because they receive such information directly from their
     service providers' networks. Similarly, the Internet will
     automatically update clocks on many personal computers that use
     relatively up-to-date software.

     But Microsoft cautions that some older products - including
     Windows XP SP1 and Windows NT4 - will require manual updates.
     Its Web site provides detailed instructions on how to update
     various products, though it is pushing against the deadline in
     some cases. Updates and tools "are being developed and tested,"
     the site says, and some will "be released through early March
     2007."

What this says is very clear: cell phones get their time signal from
the telephone network. The comment about "relatively up-to-date
software" is elucidated in the second quoted paragraph, and means
that WinXP (except SP1) and later versions of Windows (strangely
omitting Win2K) will get automatic updates for all computers set up
to get automatic updates. That is, there is a specific patch created
for those versions of Windows that most people will get
automatically. The older Windows versions have to be updated manually
(using the time-zone editing utility).

But nowhere does the article say that devices getting their time from
a time server will automatically be updated. That's simply not the
way the time server protocol works.