Is this the kind of beaming you're after?:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/owainsutton/bariolage.jpg

I just put in groups of seven semiquavers, and used the custom stem tool
to create blank stems for the skipped ones.  The hidden rests are at the
ends of the groups, so there's no problems with breaking beams.