On Mar 22, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

I do understand the potential for confusion, but really it's just logic. Where would you start if I said 1 bar after C? You wouldn't start at C, I assume -- you'd start the next bar (that is, the second bar of C). So 4 bars after C therefore has to be 3 bars later than that.

The question really is whether C designates a given measure, or the spot where that measure begins. It really ought to be the latter, and careful publishers take pains to put rehearsal letters right above the barline to (hopefully) make that clear.

In every ensemble I've ever played in, "12 after C" unambiguously includes the first measure following the letter C as #1. The only time there is trouble is if the conductor asks for one or two after C. Since "1 after C" makes no sense if that means the first bar of C (why not ask just to start at C?), he must mean "the second bar *of* C"--but that would be *two* after C--so there is always confusion in such cases unless the conductor takes care to phrase his request with "of", or says something like "the second full measure after C."

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/kallisti.html