David W. Fenton wrote:

Maybe it's a NYC thing. Maybe it's a public transit thing. But I don't know anyone who has any job that's not like Raymond Horton's, where other people are waiting on them to begin some activity.

And even that doesn't seem to me to be that much of an issue. Does a member of a major orchestra really arrive at rehearsal with not even 5 minutes to spare before getting ready for the baton to be raised?

No, we get there fifteen to twenty-five minutes (well, ten to fifteen for me, to be honest, but I'm a horrible procrastinator) before the downbeat on an average rehearsal day, but if I am counting on public transportation, which leaves at uneven times, can I assume I can give up five or ten minutes at one metro station and not have a snafu at the next transfer? (I am really not speaking from experience, since, as I said, I've commuted to a downbeat on the subway maybe once).

Sightseeing in DC with an all-day Metro pass (which could be used only after morning rush hour) was great fun, years ago when the kids were small. Josh Bell would have been a real treat, then. But I believe busking in the DC metro was outlawed in those days, according to my sister. That may also have something to do with these results.

I'm with you on the IPod. I listen only actively, also.

And contrary to the link Darcy gave, a fairly good live musical performance experience beats a great recorded performance, any time.

It was a bad time for Bell to play, but again, at least some of those people had the time to listen. It's only logical.

Raymond Horton