On 11 Apr 2007 at 6:00, dhbailey wrote:

> He would probably have gotten much nicer results when all those
> workers were on their way home in the evening -- many people have much
> less restrictive schedules at that time of day and could have taken
> the time to stop and listen.

But what I don't understand is why out of a sample that large, even
in morning rush hour there weren't more people who took a couple of
minutes to stop and listen.

> And the logistics would have had them
> facing Bell as they entered the station, which would also have caught
> their attention rather than forcing them to look over their shoulder
> as they left the station with an ocean-current of others behind them
> forcing them onward.

That indicates that they were mostly at their destination (or within
walking distance of it), which means they knew exactly how much time
they had available. Surely some significant number of them were
enough ahead of schedule even in morning rush that they could have
spared a couple of minutes to pause and listen.

That they didn't stop indicates to me that something other than time
pressure was causing them not to stop and listen.

It *would* be interesting to repeat the experiment at evening rush to
see the degree to which the release of time pressure for many would
free them to listen.

Unfortunately, it's probably impossible now, with so much attention
to the incident. It would be interesting to know if DC buskers are
making more money and/or getting more listeners in the aftermath of
the WaPo article.