Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi all,

I was struggling to figure out how to use different clefs for voiced linked parts -- i.e., two instruments that share the same staff in the score, but use Fin2007's "Specify Voicing" feature to create individual linked parts. I finally figured it out, and thought I'd share my solution with the list.

The most common situation where you might want to to have different clefs in voiced parts involves horn parts. If you have a Concert Pitch Score, you might have sections where you want the horn staves to use bass clef in the score (to avoid excessive ledger lines), but treble clef in the part. Or, as in my case, regardless of the clef used in the score, you may want, e.g., the Horn 3 part to use treble clef and the Horn 4 part to use bass clef, even though Horns 3 and 4 share a single staff in the score.

At first, I didn't think this was possible -- if I changed the clef in the Horn 4 part to bass clef, it also changed the clef in the Horn 3 part. This is one of the many ways in which voiced linked parts aren't as independent as linked parts on separate staves. But I was able to figure out a solution, which I thought I'd share with the list:

In the score, set the Horn 3/4 staff to use bass clef throughout. Then modify the transposition options for the staff, checking the "Set to Clef" option. (In a transposed score, this will result in the staff displaying treble clef throughout, which is what I wanted in this case.)

Next, create a Horn transposition staff style with "Set to Clef" UNCHECKED. Apply this staff style to the measures of any horn part where you would like to display bass clef. (In my case, this was the first few measures of the Horn 4 part.) Since the applied staff style overrides the staff attributes, the bass clef will show for the selected measures only. But since staff styles applied to parts are, by default, unlinked from the score and unlinked from all other parts, the Horn 3 part is unaffected. End result -- treble clef in Horn 3, bass clef in Horn 4, just as I wanted.

You can use a similar strategy to create clef changes in the score that you don't want displayed in the part.

Thank you for taking the time to write this out and share it with us -- it's one of those "I know I won't use it very often but when I'll need it, it will be great to have" items to print out.

--
David H. Bailey