On Apr 28, 2007, at 3:40 AM, Mark D Lew wrote:

my immediate problem is I can't figure out how to use a metatool for an expression and not have it show up on every staff. I don't see a place to define that. What am I missing? Most of my work is piano-vocal and most of my expressions I want on one staff only. If I can't get the metatool to put the expression on one staff only then I have to go back through the dialog box anyway which would defeat the purpose of the metatool.

Use note-attached expressions for that.

In fact, once I cottoned on to the following advice, I got a lot quicker.

Dynamics, along with any instrument-specific instructions, should be assigned as note expressions. This often means assigning the same expressions in several staves, but with metatools and automatic placement, this goes very quickly, and you can even assign everything in one staff and copy only note-attached expressions into the other staves.

Things that are global, like rit, accel, a tempo, rehearsal letters, and any style markings, should be assigned using measure-attached expressions. These are the only things that measure-attached expressions should be used for (though I also put in elapsed measures this way, you know, repeated measures that get numbered?)

Yes, it is a drag that you can't use staff lists when using metatools on measure-attached expressions, but the staff assignment dialogue box is only a right-click away.

I also noticed that once I assign a default position to an expression, any time I enter that expression and want it somewhere else, I have to type in the relative offset from the default position instead of the absolute coordinates. That will take some getting used to. I'm basically going to be doing math in my head each time, like, "Let's see, I want this at -66, but my default position is defined as -42, so I need to type in -24." I'm starting to doubt that this is really going to save me time.

Jef gave you some good advice about this. I learned it this way, so all my placements are off the default baseline.

Christopher