On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:33 AM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

it's not silly at all, mark seemed fairly clearly to be referring to note-specific expressions; although i could be wrong... and of course tempi and other score-related expressions should be measure attached.

Actually, no. I've always done all my expressions as measure- attached. It sounds like the consensus here is that auto-positioning and metatools are only going to be useful to me if I switch to note- attached. So now I'm looking at an even bigger change of habits than I thought. Given that I'm really not at all unhappy with how I do my expressions now, I'm starting to doubt whether it will be much benefit to me.

Two of the things that you (Jef) have stressed as time-savers don't really apply to me.

I never extract parts. Most of my work is piano-vocal. Occasionally I may do a piece that adds one or two other instruments to that. On the rare occasions I've needed to extract a solo part -- which I've done maybe about 10 times in my entire career -- I just make a copy of the full score file and delete the other parts. Of course I can see how that would be terribly inconvenient if one were to do a lot of extraction, or if one were to make changes to the score after the part is extracted, but since neither of those is the case for me it's not an issue.

You also mention transposing. I do fairly often make transpositions of songs, but my standard habit is to add the expressions after I've transposed the music, not before.

[Jef again, in another post]

this brings up another point: if you are using only measure- attached expressions, there is absolutely no way to get the kind of precision you claim to be a freak about on the horizontal axis, since this is proportional (in relation to beats) and except in cases where expressions are placed at specific beat values (i.e. at 0 EVPUs and NOT offset by 5 EVPUs or whatever from the beat, eg. 1.5, 3.666) the positioning in relation to the music changes with the music spacing (different spacing; more or less measures per system), while note-attached horizontal positioning will always be in absolute relation to the note it is attached to.

That's not true. When you enter the H position for an expression assignment you get the choice of absolute units or proportions of the beat. (If the value is negative, absolute is the only choice.) For a horizontal position within the measure, I typically do want to express is in beat-relative terms, so I'm happy with that. If I could have my way, I'd prefer to be able to enter H position there as a sum of beat value and absolute value, so that I could use either component or a combination of both. It sounds like you're saying I can have that, but only if I assign one to the expression itself and the other to the assignment.

There are a few situations where I want something just a tiny bit left of a beat, in which case you're right, I can't get a consistent fix on it if it isn't on beat one. I've always done those by placing on the beat and then nudging with the arrow. I guess I've gotten used to it since it hasn't greatly bothered me, but now that you mention it, I would prefer if I could define those exactly.

Even more significant is I'll occasionally have an expression where I really want to define the horizontal position off the barline, rather than starting from beat 1 and have to account for the variable distance between beat 1 and the barline due to accidental, second on a downstem, etc. (It would be really nice if they'd define beat zero as the barline rather than equivalent to beat one.) In those cases I've had to resort to dragging. I see that now I can assign the barline as the alignment point. Even if I don't change my standard habits over all, that's one situation where I'll use the new feature.

(I don't think I mentioned: I only upgraded to 2k4 a few months ago, and I did very little engraving at all for about two years prior to that. My life had taken me in a different direction for a while, and it's only this year that I'm getting back into engraving.)

I'm basically going to be doing math in my head each time, like, "Let's see, I want this at -66, but my default position is defined as -42, so I need to type in -24." I'm starting to doubt that this is really going to save me time.

yes but once set up properly you won't need to adjust anything in the majority of cases; you are already doing math in fact every single time you apply an expression, and **way** more math than you really need to with auto-positioning.

It may have been math once upon a time, but now it's second nature. When I decide to position an expression at, say, V=-54, it's not because I've counting out the points, it's because I've been placing expressions for ages and I just know what -54 looks like. (That's also why I'm very resistant to changing my measurement units. I measure everything in points, percentage-adjusted so that one "point" = 1/6 of a staff space.)