On Apr 30, 2007, at 7:10 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 30 Apr 2007 at 8:03, Christopher Smith wrote:

What version of Adobe Reader is she using? I understand older
versions won't read PDF files correctly all the time.

I don't know that she's using Adobe Reader at all, since she's on an
OS X Mac.

Adobe Reader is available for Mac, and I use it when I need the special features that Preview doesn't offer (like the Finale documentation), plus it sometimes views and prints correctly some files that don't read properly in Preview. And sometimes vice-versa! Maybe she could try out the newest version.

Another issue, did you create this PDF file on a computer other than
the one that the Finale file was created on? There might be font
issues if the version of the Finale fonts is not exactly the same.

I created it and made the PDF on my own PC (it was about a 2-hour
project, most of that being putting in the damned lyrics), just as I
have many, many times, and sent the same files to her.

In the end, she opened it in Photoshop, which rasterized it and
allowed her to view it, but I don't know why she wasn't seeing the
correct stuff otherwise.

That's weird! Since she was able to view it in Photoshop, that seems to indicate that the fonts WERE embedded after all.

I'm stumped, but I am far from an expert on these matters. I hope someone can shed some light for you.

Christopher