Mark D Lew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Side note: Personally, I pronounce "i-ron" like "eye-ruhn" even in ordinary speech, and it is a source of ongoing amusement to my wife to point out that everyone else in the world says "eye-urn". Surely I'm not the only one. Does anyone else out there say "eye-ruhn"?

Not exactly, but "eye-ron" is the standard pronunciation in Walton's "Belshazzar's Feast", IIRC.

John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK, there's an up tempo madrigal that starts "Fi-re, fi-re" at some length.

If you mean the Morley, ISTR that the original spelling was "Fyer, fyer".

--
Ken Moore