On May 2, 2007, at 2:41 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I don't believe there is such a meter as 12 8ths to the measure. We
have a meter called 12/8, but it's in 4, and notating in that meter
implies certain things about the music. If those implications are
inappropriate for the music you're writing, then don't use a meter
that implies that.

That's a little too rigid. I can easily imagine a contemporary composer wishing to group, say, 3+2+3+4 eighth notes into a single measure. If the context included constantly changing meters, all with 8 on the bottom, then a measure of 12/8 would not, IMO, automatically imply 4 dotted Q to any educated musician.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/