At 3:21 AM -0400 5/7/07, Raymond Horton wrote:
I don't see the fuss. A guy is trying to prove he can replace _live_ musicians, but does so by posting _recordings_, some of which are so badly reproduced they could never be mistaken for live players, even though the recordings were once made from live players. His computerized recording sounds as good, or better, as some of the badly reproduced recordings. This proves nothing as far as a computer replacing humans. It proves that computer reproduced sound is inconsistent, no matter what the original source.

Put the computer producing the sounds in a blind test in the same room alternating with live musicians, _who are playing with no electronic amplification_. That is the only test would mean anything.

Raymond Horton

Thank you, Raymond!! My college ensemble carried a Roland digital piano on the road, and of course it was played through speakers. The regional orchestra I played with had a live jazz trio (very good, too!) as guest artists, using a large concert grand piano, but also miked and played through speakers. My conclusion, after listening VERY critically, was that our Roland sounded just as good as the Steinway, when the Steinway was miked, even though it would never come close to the actual acoustic sound of the Steinway.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music