  From: Mark D Lew
  To: Finale-List 3
  Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: goats in opera (was Can you spot the fake?)

  On May 10, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Aaron Rabushka wrote:

  > "Porgy and Bess," by some chance?

  Porgy rides around in a goat-cart, but nothing in the libretto
  suggests an actual goat pulling it.  Porgy propels himself with his
  strong arms.

  Meyerbeer's _Dinorah_, on the other hand, does feature a goat that is
  central to the story and appears prominently on stage ... but that
  opera, in spite of the one famous coloratura aria, is hardly produced
  anymore.

  mdl