On May 15, 2007, at 2:35 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

On 14.05.2007 Randolph Peters wrote:
This is what gets us Canadians into trouble all the time. It seems as if we have the worst of both worlds. At Indiana University they kept drubbing into me "It's a MAY-SURE, not a bar!"

But I never heard Canadians use crotchets and quavers, do they?

Native-taught Canadians use the American terms, but there are so many Brits over here that we end up hearing both in professional situations.

Generally, English language conventions in Canada are split between American and British styles, so we use "colour" but we say "running shoes" instead of "trainers" and "sweater" instead of "jumper". And I don't know whether we say "dinner" or "supper" for the evening meal, as I hear both so often and I honestly don't remember what I said growing up.

There are some communities in Canada where some of the residents still serve high tea in the afternoon!

Christopher