On May 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, John Howell wrote:
there are actually 3 different horizontal connectors: the hyphen, the n-dash, and the m-dash. The m-dash--represented in typescript by two hyphens (or n-dashes??) as shown here--is used to separate interjections that might equally be indicated by parentheses or (god help us!) by footnotes, so they are really separators rather than connectors. I'm not sure my keyboard can produce all three (Mac), but the shortest one is typed as a lower-case hyphen and the m-dash as Shift-Option-hyphen. (I don't know WindowSpeak.)

The n-dash on Mac is opt-hyphen. This is what is suggested in the Finale manual to be used as a non-breaking hyphen for lyrics. I don't think that looks so hot myself, but for cheap and quick solutions it works.

Here is one –
For comparison, here is an m-dash —
and a hyphen -

Christopher