On May 14, 2007, at 8:45 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On May 14, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Yeah, and it's TWENTY OUNCE pints over your way, not our measly little 16 oz. pints that we have here in Canada and the US.

How did that happen? There's a proverb, which I have always assumed was very old, that says "A pint's a pound the world round." For this to be true, a pint must be 16 oz. everywhere. So what's the deal here?

I think the originator of that proverb was confusing ounces avoirdupois (weight) with ounces volume.

The reason British pints are bigger than Canadian pints is that the British used the Imperial system, whereas just about everywhere else (except some Caribbean islands) uses the system called variously Standard, or US Customary, or confusingly, English units (which were NOT even used by the British since the early 1800's!) Even the ounces themselves are slightly different in size between the two systems. The UK now uses the metric system, much to everyone's relief. The word "pint" is used more like "glass", as in "Let's order a glass of beer" but is about 570 ml (about 1.2 US pints) by convention, as it is close to the original Imperial pint in volume and everyone was used to drinking beer in that size of glass.

As much as it was a painful transition, the world is much better off with metric measures, which ARE the same the world round, and at least don't use the same word for two different types of measurement! Now if we could only convince the US to abandon the confusing, non- standard and minority system of measures that hasn't even been used in the country of its origin for almost two centuries!

Christopher