On May 20, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Dan Tillberg wrote:

On May 20, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Dan Tillberg wrote:

Hi,

if I for instance have erroneously started a phrase on a beat 4 in a
measure and want to move let's say three or four bars just on
quarter -
what is the most simple way to do this?

The question came up since I discovered that three out of four trumpet
parts in a big band score was discovered to hae a phrase that had
moved
one quarter back (I guess that I must have done this by mistake but I
don't have the slightest clue when that happend and even less
how...) so
now the phrase started on beat 4 instead of 1.

I guess the answer to this would also answer how to enter e. g. a
quarter
rest in a full 4/4 bar and let a selection to the right shift one
quarter
(all I can find in the documentation about horizontal edits seem to
treat
how to add or remove full measures).

Using Finale 2007.

The simplest way would be to use Mass Edit and pick it up and drag it
carefully over a beat.

Have control-Z (command Z on Mac) ready for the inevitable error the
first time.

You should specify Mac or PC, while the program is very close on both
platforms, it is not identical.

Christopher

Hi. Yep it was as simple as that. Is there somewhere were I can select
1) "from" side: if "hole" should be filled with rests or if earlier entry
remains
2) "to" side: whether dragged portion should overwrite any earlier entires
or not

I don't understand the question. When you drag and drop like this, ALL the entries in the target area are replaced by ALL the entries from the segment you are dragging. If you are dragging one quarter note later, then you should only have one quarter note (the starting beat 4) to clean up.

Have you read up on Mass Edit in the manual? And have you done the tutorials? This can save you (and us!) a lot of time and frustration.

Christopher