John -- I'll admit, a slight exaggeration, John, but I'm not talking the Met. Read what I said: "every last small town had its Opera House." And, despite your information offered in response to my e-mail, even those somewhat larger, including your very own hometown of Seattle - dating back to the 1870's! (Read below.) I'm talking those buildings built as - and called 'Opera Houses.' Which were the cultural centers of ubiquitous towns. Which weren't usually the 800-seat caverns (such as the Millett Opera House in Austin, TX) but were usually more often the smaller venues which hosted amateur local presentations of everything from G & S prods to scenes from grand opera to instrumental recitals. And which - while not solely, exclusively used for (so-called) classical music or other 'serious' concerts, did make experiencing it available in those towns, performed by amateur locals to touring semi-professionals to the occasional huge-name artists of the day. Such as Jenny Lind or Louis Moreau Gottschalk (who actually toured civil war camps and played in tents. Large ones.)

Virtually every last small town, boomtown or not (especially from my observational perspective - the 'wild west' of the 19th century,) had one. Which I'll admit is superlative, but is only a very slight exaggeration. Virtually every little town proudly erected its opera house, and some, if not many still exist thanks to historic preservation efforts. It was an important part of that "culturifyin'" and civilizing factor in response to the saloons and dance halls; it happened in towns sized from tiny to absolutely miniscule. Ghost towns of the old west have (or had) their Opera Houses: from Hornitos, CA to Glendive, MT, to Rhyolite, NV, to the Amargosa in Death Valley, Ca (creepy little place - but still in use); those in Bodie, CA, Delamar, NV, Columbia, CA, to thriving still-alive older towns such as Grass Valley, CA, to Cheyenne, WY, Longmont, CO, Granbury, TX; the Eureka Opera House in Austin, NV or The Wheeler in Aspen, CO, the Opera House Theatre in Philipsburg, MT, and especially some of the REALLY grand houses such as the 1881 Tabor in Denver (think of 'The Ballad of Baby Doe') and other extraordinarily resplendent and opulent palaces. This entire opera house tradition really began in the 1850s after the initial gold rush flooded the west with settlers from the cities. Eventually those folk (particularly womenfolk) demanded a cultural environment for community pride and also as exposure to 'the high-class' arts for their childrenfolk. And usually some sort of venue for some sort of performing arts was constructed and proudly named "The Opera House." And more often than not, and while certainly there were other forms of entertainment presented in those early days (such as minstrelsy in the mid-1800's or vaudeville much later on) much of the entertainment was of a higher 'cultural' variety.

And it doesn't end there in the West: among notables in even-very-small East Coast towns are one of my favorites: the absolutely gorgeous 1876 Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT. Or Marlinton, WV's Pocahontas County Opera House, not terribly far from you, John. And even East Coast <Ghost Town> Opera Houses: the Rodney (MS) Opera House.

And I LOVE your erstwhile hometown of Seattle - have spent time there wallowing in some of its history as well. I did a little digging and found some interesting things - including news of Seattle's FIRST reported Opera House, from 1879:

<<Squire's Opera House, Seattle's first theater, opens on November 24, 1879:>> On November 24, 1879, the Squire's Opera House, Seattle's first theater, opens. The Squire's Opera House, located on the east side of Commercial Street (1st Avenue S) between Washington and Main streets, was built as a theater with two levels of seating for 584 theater-goers. During the next year, various operas and plays were performed, including selections from Macbeth by Barton Hill and Josephine Cameron, Seattle Minstrels, and a ventriloquist mystery by Professor Vertelli and Miss Rowland. To its owners the Squire's Opera House did not seem profitable enough. In September 1882, they turned it into the New Brunswick Hotel.

<<Musicians in Seattle organize a union on November 7, 1890:>>
On November 7, 1890, Seattle musicians form an union called Musicians Mutual Protective Association. By 1902 membership was 154. By 1906, the union had grown to 306 members with musicians earning from $20 to $30 per week. By 1918, the Musicians Local No. 76 had 550 members. By 1920 the union had 825 members including 125 females.

<<Stradivarius Violin first played in the Pacific Northwest in Seattle in 1875:>> In 1875 Camelia Urso gives a Seattle concert using a Stradivarius violin. This is the first time a Stradivarius is played in the Pacific Northwest.

The whole point of this sidebar thread (and to which I believe you agreed) is that 'classical' music in 19th century America was a tad more ubiquitous than may be the perception. You may argue my point about its means of delivery locales, and it may be a slight exaggeration for me to have declared that EVERY single last town had one, but it's not far off the mark. I've been there, seen that - and in many cases, actually played some of those old houses myself. Those few surviving ones, of course!

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: John Howell