At 12:41 PM 5/26/2007 -0400, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>IMO the cultural shift has been in the opposite direction. The
>fundamental antipathy among ordinary Americans toward classical music
>has its origins in the country's founding. In the 18th c
[...]
>Prior to 1960, most Americans lived their entire lives without ever
>experiencing and opera, a ballet, or a symphony.
[...]

Let me explain how I perceive the cultural shift.

America had home-grown composers as well as imported music, showing a
dramatic change following the 19th century European invasion (which
included American composers studying in Europe), after which the sweep of
American symphony orchestra foundings could occur. [What might have grown
from the original American composers 'stock' would never be known.]

(As for your 1960 date, that seems peculiar to me as the child of a
lower-class family. If you chose your word 'experiencing' to mean
'attending', I'd have to say you were correct; but the legacy of recordings
and radio broadcasts says something very different.)

But my 'cultural shift' is not focused on the distant history, and I
believe it has no influence today. America doesn't have much of a
collective cultural memory, so it wouldn't matter if the American
orchestras had appeared suddenly in 1930 from the planet Zombartumian. Yes,
the U.S. does have a long legacy of individuals who, whether self-made or
heirs, self-educated or university, had open minds toward the arts and
culture. Endowments from them built the opera houses and the libraries, and
created collections that became their own museums or were given to museums.
They wrote about and spoke about culture as significant. (I knew some of
the last of that generation when I was the young 'token' artist on the
board of the New Jersey State Museum in the mid-1970s: Barbara and Glenway
Wescott, Douglas Dillon, Malcolm Forbes, Marjorie Graff, etc. They believed
in cultural significance and collected and commissioned art they found
compelling and challenging.)

This cultural thinking grew -- and what might be called a 'cultural
awareness' reached a moment of collective enthusiasm with, among thousands
of other examples, the founding of the National Endowment for the Arts, the
consolidation of of educational broadcasting into National Public Radio and
the Public Broadcasting System, the building of Lincoln Center and the
Kennedy Center, and the peak of adventure and experiment in America's
musical forms (jazz and minimalism) ... all within about ten years (1963-73).

But the democratizing and public funding of the arts (the latter a
mucked-up intrusion without the cultural experience of, say, Europe) and
especially music (an intimate artform we bring into our lives in real time)
also carried with it the tacit assumption that political and marketplace
forces held a key to 'unlock' culture for Americans. It did and it didn't.
Whether or not Pollock or Warhol or Oldenburg or Paik or Rauschenberg
caught on in the general populace was irrelevant, because those artists
could be given time and space to influence the generation of designers who
can now create silhouette iPod ads -- without it being in the least
visually confounding. Nor would we have "Studio 60" or "ER" without the
products of handheld-camera experimental filmmakers a generation earlier
and the vocal rhythms of Burroughs and Ginsberg.

However, it also set in motion an aggressive making up for lost time among
less fleet-of-foot organizations such as the major orchestras, which were
being wrenched from the Toscanini-style domination (a few generations
during which they did play new nonpop) into a swamp of licensing
requirements and union rules and expensive buildings and recording
contracts and political expediency and pseudo-participatory decision-making
and accountancy management, leaving them unable to pursue artistic
invention without being squashed deeply into the corner of a perpetual
marketplace crisis. So while Marat-Sade was being premiered, across the
fountain the New York Philharmonic was resurrecting Mahler -- and even that
to controversy.

Contemporary nonpop had a few minor film successes (such as Ligeti in
"2001", Hermann in "Fahrenheit 451" and even Mancini in "Charade") during
that ten-year flourishing of musical arts, only to be subsumed by
shoot-em-ups like "Star Wars" with John Williams's retro-heist from "The
Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex".

Conservative politics and free-marketism snapped back before the path of
new nonpop (which, one has to keep in mind, takes place in real time rather
than in "considered time") could deeply influence the later musical
'designers' who would guide public tastes by example. Simultaneously, a
rush into considerations of relevance -- understood and not -- had ruptured
higher education's teacher training programs. Conservative by nature,
musical education programs all but abandoned the creation of nonpop -- the
creation of any music, for that matter.

In twenty years, there were few to play, fewer to teach, and even fewer to
listen. Attributes of cultural significance were rooted about for instead
in the pop world, and a veritable industry of assigning meaning has grown
from the fertilizer.

At the same time, the fruits of the attempts at democratization and the
accountancy of the marketplace are clearly audible on a present-day
National Public Radio with its ignorant deejays playing hardly a whisper of
new nonpop. These are stations whose mandate is, above all others, to meet
the fundraising goals, and these are orchestras whose mandate is, above all
others, to fill the seats. (Disagree? Show me a station or orchestra that
has voluntarily shut down because it believed itself to be culturally
[rather than economically] bankrupt, no matter how many artistic
mediocritizations it capitulated to.)

And there is the cultural shift -- not from the late 19th century but
rather from the late 20th.

Now I really have to go back to work ... my 45th composition this year is
due tomorrow as part of my "We Are All Mozart" project...

Dennis

Please participate in my 2007 project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/
My "We Are All Mozart" blog: