At 12:02 PM 5/26/2007 -0700, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
>I would think, if anything, that their views would widen when exposed
>to tonal music, IF they had the previous training you gave them.

Just to clarify, though I taught music, I didn't give them training in the
traditional sense. I gave them opportunities to put hand-to-music, as it
were, and to engage a wide variety of sonic experiences -- including
listening into how their favorite pop songs worked. It was a process of
ongoing discovery. Everyone learned to play an instrument and to read music
as well as to write music; even the third-graders had to suggest and even
to some degree defend their choices of notation, for example. I avoided as
much as possible an implication of judgment while providing tools of
discernment. (Yeah, my whole approach crazified the lesson-plan-bound
administration.)

Sorry for the long preface, but here's an analogy: Even with an intense
early training in a language, even where it was the first language of
children in a household, a language can be forgotten when overwhelmed by
the dominant language of the culture.

My father grew up speaking Hungarian and going to a German-speaking school
(in rural New Jersey, not Europe), and only started to learn English after
he was ten years old (when the family moved to New York in 1928). His
German was long gone by the 1950s, and after his father died, the Hungarian
started to disappear as well.

It doesn't even take that long. I have some friends in the Netherlands, one
of whom has been working in England for the past five years. When we were
all visiting in Utrecht a few weeks ago, his brother-in-law complained that
his Dutch had really gone to the dogs -- no longer properly idiomatic.

One would hope early experiences provide a basis for a wider view, but I'm
not optimistic about how much pressure a dominant culture can exert.

Dennis

Please participate in my 2007 project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/
My "We Are All Mozart" blog: