John Howell wrote (in response to my listing of some 19th-century American
orchestras:)

<Not that I disagree with your thesis, which I think is a good one if perhaps a
bit exaggerated, but there certainly should be some criterion of length of
existence before an orchestra can be considered more established than just a
pickup group.>

And Les says:

But that was never part of the premise, John!    I was responding to Andrew's
statement that there was <There *were* no American symphony orchestras in the
mid-late 19th c.except for the NY Phil and Theodore Thomas's touring outfit.>
Period!   No exceptions were made for permanency or length of existence!!   And
in any event, of the refutations I presented (besides the NYPO in 1842,) many
actually WERE the root foundings of permanent orchestras: Chicago Orchestra in
1891 (to later become the CSO), Pittsburgh 1896, Boston 1881...and I'll add the
1893 Philadelphia Symphony Society, which formed the basis of the Philadelphia
Orchestra.

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html