I would enjoy seeing a lot of Americans stop trying to be whatever their ancestors were, and just be Americans ... else why be here? [Simplistic, I know]

Dean

On May 27, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Richard Smith wrote:

Snip
American culture is a combination of all of the people who have settled here for whatever reason and it's different from region to region. It is
not absent. Some Americans should stop trying to be European and be
themselves.

Rant over.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of John Howell
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:12 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] berlioz notation programme

At 8:02 AM -0400 5/27/07, dhbailey wrote:

We have an American culture? (said with tongue in cheek)  After
Johannes' post I was thinking "Gee, I wish we *had* a culture which
we could protect!"

I think it was Gandhi who, when asked about Western Culture,
commented that, "It would be a wonderful idea!"

The American culture has never been monolithic and I don't see the
Spanish language threatening what has never existed.

I do see it as threatening American citizens' ability to communicate
effectively with each other, and I fear that when a country's
citizens can no longer effectively communicate with each other, the
ability to function as a country is threatened.

Case in point.  I grew up 30 miles north of Seattle.  If there was
any defining ethnicity there it was scandinavian.  Lutefisk and
leftse were not consumed in quantity, but were sung about by such as
Stan Boreson, and the nearby Smorgasbord was a real treat after
church on Sunday.

Last time I spent several weeks' time there, big changes.  No sign of
scandinavian culture, but entire shopping centers where all the
signage was in Korean without translation.  Now there have always
been a good number of orientals in the Pacific Northwest (making it
the only place my wife could buy shoes that fit!), but that kind of
thing is self-ghettoization and really surprised me.  We think of
Roanoke as being quite multicultural, and have festivals to celebrate
it, and our campus is extremely international in character, but not
with businesses that don't welcome English-speakers.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
3:05 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:05 PM

Dean M. Estabrook
http://deanestabrook.googlepages.com/home

Of all hoaxes, the one which is my most vexing bĂȘte noire on a quotidian basis, is the cereal box top which informs simply, "Lift Tab to Open." Then, "To Close, Insert Tab Here ." Yeah, right! In attempting to accomplish the first direction, not only the tab but also the slit intended to accept the aforementioned protuberance have both been irreparably disfigured and rendered dysfunctional. This debacle is then amplified by the misbehavior of the recalcitrant inner bag, which can not be unsealed sans mangling it, and hence, will not disperse its contents without exiting the box itself. All I wanted was a bowl of cereal.