Have mercy!  Just think of the possibilities.

Dean

On May 28, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:

Dean Estabrook wrote:
<Actually, I believe Lenny swung both ways. But that's just begging the issue, I know.>

And Les replies: Well, sure he did. Which makes sense in light of the (alleged) exchange in which Lenny said to Ned Rorem: "The trouble with you and me, Ned, is that we want everyone in the world to personally love us, and of course that's impossible: you just don't meet everyone in the world...."

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dean M. Estabrook
  To: finale@shsu.edu
  Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: John Cage's first national TV appearance (1960)

  On May 28, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On May 26, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Phil Daley wrote:

Snip
Whoa! Don't go off the deep end. First of all, notice the dates: I
was talking about those active in roughly the first half of the
20th c., and not all of them. The best estimate I have seen as to
how many of those composers were gay is about 50%. Certainly one
does not have to strain to find examples: Copland, Thomson, Partch,
Cage, Cowell, Bernstein,

  Dean

Cage, Harrison, Rorem...

 I cannot, for example, imagine any
American boy nowadays being denounced as a "fairy" because he played
the clarinet.

But when did this change?

I got that very comment in 1957.

Several other people on this list insist I was wrong about this, so
maybe I am. But what I had in mind was a *gradual* shift, starting
in the 1960s and culminating in, say, 1985.

 I'm sure all the older Americans on this list will remember when
classical music used to be called "longhair music"--because of the
hairstyles of Liszt et al. This was a semi-pejorative, like
"egghead," that went away when pop musicians began wearing their
hair "shoulder length or longer"--but the important point is that
*nothing replaced it.* It is still possible, of course, for an
American to express disdain of classical music--but there's no pat
expression to do it with anymore.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/

  Dean M. Estabrook
  http://deanestabrook.googlepages.com/home

Of all hoaxes, the one which is my most vexing bĂȘte noire on a
quotidian basis, is the cereal box top which informs  simply,
"Lift Tab to Open."  Then, "To Close, Insert Tab Here ." Yeah,
right! In attempting to accomplish the first direction, not only
the tab but also the slit intended to accept the aforementioned
protuberance  have both been irreparably  disfigured and rendered
dysfunctional.  This debacle is then amplified by the misbehavior
of the recalcitrant inner bag, which can not be unsealed sans
mangling it, and hence, will not disperse its contents without
exiting the box itself. All I wanted was a bowl of cereal.