Ray

Yes, there's the "picksüßes Hölzl", a G clarinet that sounds a perfect fifth higher than written. It's part of the Viennese Schrammelmusik quartet. And a low G clarinet is used in Turkish music.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrammelmusik and associated links...

Cheers

Jim

Raymond Horton:

 He wants to be able to play anything on the instrument for which it was
 written.  I forget if he said he has a clarinet in every key, or is
 lacking something in G.   (Is there anything?)

--
James Gardner

director, 175 East

3 Sylvan Valley Avenue
Woodlands Park
Titirangi
Waitakere 0604
NEW ZEALAND

ph: ++ 649 817 6508

http://www.175east.co.nz
http://www.myspace.com/jamesgardnercomposer
http://www.myspace.com/175east

He wants to be able to play anything on the instrument for which it was written. I forget if he said he has a clarinet in every key, or is lacking something in G. (Is there anything?)

I'd have to venture an opinion that _Til Eeulenspiegel_ sounds just a bit fuller, fatter on D clarinet than Eb. But it is slight, and if I didn't know about the difference I probably would never notice.

Ray Horton
Louisville Orchestra