At 10:55 AM 6/10/2007, Will Denayer wrote:
>I have a question. It is not clear to me how I can write harmonics for
>strings - both natural and artificial ones.
>I looked it up in the manual, but there is not much about it. They
>mention a plug which can help you to write harmonics, but I do not
>find this plug either (I am using Finale 2007c).

The plugin should be right where the manual says it is: Plugins | TGTools | Easy Harmonics.

This plugin is useful if you are writing a series of artificial harmonics of the type where the player fingers one note and then touches the string a fourth above that, producing a note two octaves above the written note. This type of harmonic is usually written as a regular notehead on the note to be fingered, with a diamond notehead a fourth above that. The plugin lets you enter both noteheads in the usual way and will then automatically convert the upper one into a diamond notehead. More on the plugin is on p.22-11 in the manual.

>Could someone please explain to me how I can notate harmonics? For
>natural harmonics, there are little circles in the articulation tool -
>I do not know which one is for harmonics.

If you're using the Maestro Font Default template that comes with Fin2007, the usual articulation for harmonics is the one in slot 21, with a metatool of O.

> As for the others, I do not
>find the diamond shaped notes.

If you're using the artificial harmonic notation described above, the easiest way is to use the plugin, as mentioned. Otherwise, you can do it by hand. Enter both pitches as normal noteheads. Then select the Note Shape Tool (under Special Tools). Click the measure in question, and a handle will appear on each notehead. Double-click the handle for the upper notehead, and select the diamond notehead in slot 79.

>Will they sound as harmonics when I use
>playback?

Not all on their own. You need to add a note at the sounding pitch in another layer (often layer 4) which will be hidden when that layer is not displayed. It may be that Human Playback will interpret harmonics correctly; I don't use it, so I can't say for sure.

Aaron.