Christopher Smith / 2007/07/03 / 04:21 PM wrote:

>I'm glad nobody told Monk, Miles, Gil Evans or Oliver Nelson that.
>We'd be missing a lot of great music.

I used the bad word "destroy".  I meant "blur".  These great artists
created unique art-form by doing something _special_.  I bet they knew
the special effect they are creating instead of getting something by
luck.  Y'know what I mean?  By the way, what do you think George Russell
told Gil and Miles :-)

You have been talking about analyzing what have done.  I am talking
about how to label chord names correctly so improviser does not need to
suffer figuring out the chord scale when improvising on sight-read.
After all, it is your music if someone take a bad solo :-)

P.S. Seriously, I really, really care how my pianist, guitarist, and
vibraphonist voices behind my solo, and voices against each other
between them.  I don't like one of them rests when the other is comping
for me.

And if they voiced C-E-F-G for whatever their reason is, I just play F
Lydian phrase.  That's all.  If someone voiced b9 where I wrote natural
9th chord, and repeated b9th throughout my solo choruses, I will think
if I call s/he again!

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>