Shifrin, through all his European research, has reached conclusions about the use of alto vs tenor trombone in much of the standard symphonic rep. (described in that dissertation to which I linked you).

Indeed, alto trombone use dropped off in the latter half of the 19th century, but it is not cut and dried. Brahms, for one, intended his first parts to be played on alto.

But, as you say, many parts were labeled "alto" by publishers and were clearly not intended, or even practical for the instrument - Bruckner symphonies being the most obvious example, with the first trombone extending often to low E.

One interesting reason for the changeover from alto to tenor is that many orchestras stopped supplying instruments. Players, faced with a choice, bought the more versatile tenor trombone.

The other interesting standard rep composer is Dvorak - quick - without looking: What kind of trombones did Dvorak write for?

RBH