My latest Finale installation is 2005. Compared to my first Finale (v. 2), in which Simple was useless and Speedy was the only way to go, it is vastly improved. Compared to my Sibelius (any version) Fin 05's Simple is still a little clumsy, but then Simple entry really is the Sibelius way to work.

I got to talk with "the Toms" recently at a convention and have been told that in Fin 08 the Simple tools have again been improved and that they have completely revamped the copy/paste routines which are the other part of the "Simple package". If this is true, then Finale's work flow will become much like that of Sibelius; "enter data once, copy, paste and edit". It is very fast but a big change for people who have been using Speedy for years.

The problem is some of workers just don't think that way and will always find Simple clumsy. Others will just not want to learn new ways when the old ones work just fine, thanks.

If your really interested in learning to use Simple well, the best way is probably to give yourself a project (something in which you are not pressed for time or working for a client) and just make yourself do it with Simple, no Speedy. Kind of a bite the bullet sort of thing. When you finish, you'll probably know if the method is for you.

With so many of the most experienced Finale workers heavily invested in Speedy, I don't see how it can ever be taken out of Finale no matter how much MM might want to. Unless there is some wish for corporate suicide.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com