On 06.09.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
Perhaps my whole opinion on this is colored by the fact that I first encountered the whole thing in an oral paper delivered by Rifkin in 1985, just about the time he was first publishing. I've watched his ideas develop over the years, but there has always been a degree of righteous indignation in the tone with which he makes his arguments.

Now, it could be that his opponents are just as self-righteous, but I haven't encountered them in person, so have no way to know.

But the attitude that I've seen Rifkin exhibit is very much what Taruskin was reacting against in his screeds against the concept of authenticity in the early music movement.

So the personality of the scientist makes his conclusions wrong? Weak? Come on, just because you don't like the way he presents his ideas doesn't mean the ideas are wrong.

He has to be dogmatic. Every good scientist has to be dogmatic.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de