God I'm glad I started this thread. Really - how about MakeMusic and
Sibelius sitting down and discussing their future. I mean, they share most
of the professional (and many less professional, no qualification intended)
users wanting to notate musical scores.

Thinking about some file compatibility might help the daily work of both
Sibelius and Finale users. In fact that would be the one point where both
programs could profit both in quality and popularity.

Everything else, alas, is competition and "pushing" features - a war we all
know from cars to TVs to cell phones to microwaves to software to operating
systems to ourselves...

Competition is a concept that works fine for evolution - but when it comes
to quality and specification, it does not always work.

Imagine this fox with the antlers and the "new" "cool" wasp sting in the
newest and hottest "porcupine" version - Does he really need it? Do we need
it?

What do we need? A means to an end - A version of Finale that works
reliably, giving us the best results with only basic inputs, which is open
to to be opened by similar software on any operating system. Minimal input,
maximum quality output, be it PDF, Sibelius, printing, Midi...

I wish our list could be strong enough to DEMAND this.

Kurt