On 23 Sep 2007 at 2:34, Kurt Gnos wrote:

> Really - how about MakeMusic and
> Sibelius sitting down and discussing their future. I mean, they share most
> of the professional (and many less professional, no qualification
> intended) users wanting to notate musical scores.

Well, companies usually don't work that way, unless one of them is
the underdog and trying to steal the other's market. An example is
Excel and Lotus 123:

The argument there is that the perfect conversion between Excel and
123 and the 123 macro compatibility in Excel made it possible for 123
users to try Excel without being locked into it -- they could always

But that's a case of "underdog" Microsoft (remember, this was c. 1990
and earlier, when MS was not the monolithic power it is today)
wanting to steal the "top dog's" market.

In music notation, it seems to me that Sibelius has already
accomplished the bulk of this, simply by making an easier-to-learn
(but not necessarily easier-to-use) user interface. I don't see what
they'd have to gain by engaging MakeMusic in discussions to make
their files interoperable -- all the benefit seems to me to flow to
the Finale side of things.