On 8 Oct 2007 at 16:32, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> On 10/8/07, dc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Could you post an image?
>
> Yes:
>
> http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/finale/praetorius.jpg

Looks like phrase marks to me, which would be essential in dance
music. I have recently entered viol/vocal music from the same edition
(to make parts) and saw no such phrase marks.

> What was interesting was to actually look at Praetorius' vocal music,
> and I was a bit taken back out, how "thin" it looks compared to what I
> hear on CD performances-- especially the CD that Paul McCreesh
> recorded "Praetorius: Mass for Christmas Morning" on DG-Archiv, which
> was performed with so many exotic instruments, winds, trumpets and
> percussionists. A quick glance at the music scores for these pieces
> just listed groups of instruments, with nothing specifically notated.
> I suppose subsitution is allowed, but I was a bit disheartened to find
> that the percussion that I love so much, was not in the original
> sources.

Doesn't Praetorius in his book say that you're supposed to double
instruments on the voices, and gives substantial leeway in doing so?
I don't know if he talks about adding percussion, but I think he
covers it in his list and diagrams of instruments, which implies that
they were used, of course. In the NYU Collegium we've always doubled
voices/instruments in this kind of repertory (though we don't always
double all voices).