At 4:32 PM -0400 10/8/07, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
On 10/8/07, dc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Could you post an image?

Yes:

http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/finale/praetorius.jpg

What was interesting was to actually look at Praetorius' vocal music,
and I was a bit taken back out, how "thin" it looks compared to what I
hear on CD performances-- especially the CD that Paul McCreesh
recorded "Praetorius: Mass for Christmas Morning" on DG-Archiv, which
was performed with so many exotic instruments, winds, trumpets and
percussionists. A quick glance at the music scores for these pieces
just listed groups of instruments, with nothing specifically notated.
I suppose subsitution is allowed, but I was a bit disheartened to find
that the percussion that I love so much, was not in the original
sources.

Regarding the notation, my guess would be that bar lines were not present in the original, but those strokes served the same function. (I have not seen the original, just the same Collected Works edition of Terpsichore that you took that example from.) Anyone playing dance pieces would have known the dances, and therefore understood the note groupings. The Volte or LaVolte was a sort of galliard, so it moved in a moderately fast triple time in spite of the confusing (to us) time signature. It was the steps themselves, including grasping the lady by the bottom of her busk and swinging her around vigorously, that differed from the galliard. (Paintings of that move look HIGHLY questionable, but the busk or bodice was so thoroughly stiffened with whalebone that it was virtually a solid object and not just fabric.)

As to orchestration/performance practice, you have to understand that in the early 17th century it was really never prescribed by the composer or arranger, but was understood to be left to the discretion of the choir or band leader to use whatever was available, and combine them as he saw fit. Some places had a tradition of not mixing voices and instruments (the Sistine Chapel, for one), while other places mixed them all the time (St. Marc's in Venice). In fact Praetorius himself, in explaining the new Venetian polychoral style to the South German choir directors who were his main customers, described how to divide your forces into two or more choirs, place them around your church, and give each in turn a phrase of the piece, finally bringing them together at the end of a section. And then in one sentence he reveals how common it was, to him, to interchange voices and instruments: "Make sure that at least one part in each choir is sung, so that the words are not lost"!!!

To put this in perspective, remember that music was never written for publication, but for immediate performance by ensembles well known to the composers. The guys writing polychoral pieces for the big festivities at St. Marc's in Venice, when they did publish those works, look as if they are asking for specific orchestrations, but in fact they were just indicating how THEY did the music with the forces they had available. Once published, they would have expected anyone else to orchestrate their music according to the forces HE had available.

Note that in the "Volte du Tambour," in spite of the title no drum part was notated. Arbeau had earlier described how it could be used in a galliard. But using percussion in a sacred piece I would find very questionable. I don't mind stretching performance practice, but that's a little strange. On the other hand, pictures of 15th century Burgundian dancers with their small dance bands never show the use of drums, in the very situation where WE would assume they were necessary and used.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music