As I mentioned in a previous post, I have bought the Competitive Upgrade from Sibelius, since we can do that this month for half price. The softward arrived yesterday, so I am just getting used to the differences. Because I used Simple Entry in Fin the differences aren't all that great. What I do like about Sib is that I can access many of functions with a mouse click, where in Fin I would have to drop down a menu and select. On Fin's side, I don't yet see in Sib the ability to tweak things, e.g. hairpins, expression placement, slurs, etc., but this may be that I haven't yet found the means of doing so. So far, I believe that Sib is more the way I like to work . . . but it is way too soon for a really informed judgment.
Bruce Clausen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johannes Gebauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Re: Finale '08

On 10.10.2007 Daniel Wolf wrote:
Would it be possible now, from the list membership, to get a more accurate sense of the number of us who are (a) a long-term, professional users of Finale, (b) have serious concerns about bug fixes, and (c) iare either skipping an '08 upgrade or switching to a competing product during this cycle?

I believe I do qualify for a, although I don't use every aspect of the Finale package.

I have had serious concerns about bug fixes for a long time.
And, although I haven't decided to not buy Finale 2k8 (I may have to for compatibility reasons), I will not buy it yet.

I do have serious concerns about the future of Finale in general. My being thrown out of the beta team is one of the reasons, as I can only guess about the reasons for that. And for some reason I have the feeling it has to do with some company policies on bug fixing.

We have witnessed many software packages die because they came second. My feeling is that Finale is loosing the battle right now. All Sibelius now need is a real plugin interface and some serious third party plugins.

The reason Finale is loosing the battle is bugs. 2k7 was a catch up version, but Sibelius has not been asleep. Had Fin2k8b been a bug fix version, all would have been well. But now I feel it is probably too late.

Johannes

http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de